Friday, June 4, 2010

Keeping my fingers crossed

I took the job I am in now out of desperation to get out of the clinic. In November when I was in Alabama for training I posted this regarding my new job. Back in April I applied for the potential growth job again but at a higher pay grade with promotions every year for 2 to make me a GS 13 (if I get all of my training done in each year).

I just received an email telling me that my resume has been referred to the hiring authority. My old commander has told me that he would give me a reference to the hiring authority for this job when I need it. I'll be calling him on Monday to ask him to make that call.

I hate to get excited but I've wanted this job for sooooo long.

Here is the job description:

Major Duties:

The primary purpose of this position is: To perform developmental assignments which are designed to provide the employee, who is serving in an advanced trainee capacity, the knowledge and skill to provide business advice to the customer and perform all pre-award and post-award functions, using a wide range of contracting methods and types, and to procure complex and/or diversified commodities, services, and/or construction. All training must be completed and regulatory requirements met prior to promotion to the target level.


KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:

1. Knowledge of commonly used contracting methods sufficient to perform procurement functions when the contract actions are well defined and well presented.


2. Knowledge of contract negotiation techniques, and the laws, regulations and precedents governing procurements by this method, to perform developmental assignments. Skill in dealing with others in a work relationship to present information orally and to accomplish a given purpose.


3. Knowledge of formal advertising sufficient to solicit bids to procure a variety of requirements ranging from standard to specialized supplies, services, or construction.


4. Knowledge of report writing techniques to present factual information clearly, write procurement memoranda, and draft contract provisions and supporting documentation.


5. Knowledge of business practices and market conditions as they relate to program and technical requirements sufficient to evaluate bid responsiveness, contractor responsibility, and contractor performance.


6. Skill in solving practical problems relating to supplies, services, and/or contracting as they relate to the development of specifications or to contract administration involving product quality. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally or in writing.


Remember how long it took to hear anything on my current job--I anticipate this will be the same. I don't expect to hear anything until August/September time frame & then if I am selected I don't expect to move until October.

I can be patient. I can be patient. I can be patient.

4 comments:

stacey said...

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Everything crossed for you!!

Can you post out of the new job so quickly? In my company there is a minimum time period before you are eligible to apply for anything else.

Deb said...

The Federal Government doesn't work at all like corporate America. The only stipulation in moving is 1 year upon INITIAL employment & then 1 year after a grade promotion. I took a lateral move into this job so it doesn't matter so there are no wait times to apply.

Wennndy said...

I hope this works out for you because I know you are bored beyond belief in your current spot.

Blog Archive