Friday, August 7, 2009

Gym & stuff

Yesterday I did 40 minutes on the recumbent today & legs from July's workouts. I used the weights I used at Wendy's. Sweated like a man!

Squats: 80 lbs
Lunges (front foot on step): 45 lbs
Leg extensions: 65 lbs
Triple threat

Abs
V-Ups
Bicycles
Crunches on ball
Planks on ball

I had to quit doing abs because my low back was barking. I did overhead squats with 15 lb bar yesterday & that really worked my low back. I will only use my broom next time I do that. If I'm not careful that could hurt me!

Sandi is really working stretching into her workouts. I decided to follow her lead. I did about 10 minutes of stretching after. I'm buying a book I saw on Wendy's shelf--Wharton Book of Stretching. I don't know that many ways to stretch so the book should be good for me. I want to be able to stretch like Sandi--putting a yoga block at my feet & putting my forehead on my knee cap (or did I imagine she can do that?). I was envious of her stretch.

I got my new workout from Wendy this morning. It's more in depth than anything she has ever sent me. It looks crazy & tough. It's insane how excited I get with each new workout.

I am going to try to get my lazy butt out of bed at 4 AM to get to the gym on base before work. I can shower & get dressed there. The facility is really nice & does have everything that I need. If I can't do it; John has agreed to let me buy a new tower for lat work. Yay!

We're going to Fairmont Park to ride the bike trails today. I'm looking forward to it. A nice long bike ride & then a salad in the park.

3 comments:

Laura said...

The Whartons' book is great. They use a technique called active isolated stretching that's crazy effective in increasing range of motion at the joints. Once you get the book you might want to show it to John as there are several stretches that really work best if you do them with a partner. It's very versatile and can actually serve as a warm-up to a strength training workout because it involves movement and muscle activation.

Wennndy said...

My BodyFlow training this week includes PNF stretching, which is pretty much the same as the Wharton's technique. We did it in frog today and all I can say is OUCH!!!!!

Doin the Math said...

I didn't have my yoga block there, but yep, that's how I usually end up stretching my hams. By the third time through, I can usually either put my forehead, nose, or chin on my knee.

Not saying that to boast, but to point out that 1)six months ago I couldn't do that; and 2)I still can't do it until about the 3rd time through...not when I first sit down, no matter how warm I am.

With consistency, you'll be amazed at how fast your flexibility will increase. It won't feel like it at first, and then one day, you're like, "Hey! I've never gotten this far before!" :)

Blog Archive