Thursday, February 25, 2010

Day 4, 29 to go!

The scale isn’t moving.  I’ve been PERFECT.  I swear.  Eh. I feel good & my size 6 Lucky’s still fit nice.  A little snug, not tight, but nice.  Wah wah wah!

 

Kimberly is doing really well!  She’s gotten bored with the workout that she was given by one of the gym staff members & asked me about where to find stuff to do.  I gave her a bunch of sites but warned that because she is still a relative newbie she needs to be careful; especially given the orthopedic issues she has.  I got thinking about that, her time constraints, & her motivation to learn.  I decided to put together some barbell complexes for her.  I gave her 3. 

 

Today was my cardio day so I spent time teaching her how to move through them.  We have the short bars for lighter use so we used that.  We also went straight body weight for some.  She is such a big girl it’s sometimes hard to tell if her form is good.  I concentrated on watching her knees (not over the toes) & shoulders (back & down).  I had her do a push press.  That had us rolling because she couldn’t get the movement right; she would push up as she squatted down.  After doing it 4 or 5 times I finally stood in front of her & did it without weight with her.  That seemed to do the trick but man initially she was laughing like crazy.   

 

When I first met her 3 years ago she weighed over 350 lbs.  She started at the gym a little more than 10 months ago & now weighs 290-something.  She was only able to do 7 minutes on the elliptical before feeling like she was going to fall out.  Today she did 3 sets of 10 in the barbell/bodyweight complex we did together & then did 25 minutes on the elliptical!  If it’s a straight cardio day she will get in a full 45 minutes!!!  I’m so proud of her! 

 

My workout today consisted of treadmill work.  I started off thinking I was just going to walk for 30 minutes @ 4.0 MPH.  After 13 minutes I got bored & decided to kick it up a notch.  I jogged at 5.0 MPH for 17 minutes & then did a 3 minute cool down followed by a nice stretch.

 

My hamstrings are nice & tight today!  I was bragging about my 95 lb squats this morning & told John that I think I’m going up to 105 next time around because I wasn’t sore.  Yeah, 5 hours later…Toasty!

 

It’s snowing like crazy here today.  We’re supposed to get anywhere from 6 to 15 inches depending on who you listen to.  If the base is closed tomorrow that means I have to work out at home.  I hate working out at home.  I just don’t feel like I work as hard – even when I know I’m lifting the same weights.  Anyone else ever experience that?

 

 

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so nice to read about you with your fitness friends. :) I am SURE you are making a HUGE difference for Kim. Remember what it felt like when you were first starting out? How much easier would it have felt with that support? Yay, Deb!

Wennndy said...

Great job, Deb! Woohoo!

I don't like to work out at home anymore. But then again, the gym seems to be my home, so maybe I'm wrong about that. :)

Blog Archive